Title: Into the Wild
Author: Jon Krakauer
Format: Kindle
Genre: Non-fiction
Series: -
Date read: April 2011
Verdict: 8 out of 10
Comments: Much like with the film version of Into the Wild, I have to confess I skipped parts that didn't interest me. However, the book's description of events was more entertaining than watching the film. In 1992, the emaciated body of Christopher McCandless was found in an abandoned bus off the Stampede Trail in Alaska. The 24-year-old had given up his comfortable life in suburbia to live off the land in what he called his 'Alaskan odyssey', which sadly cost him his life from starvation. I disagree with the author's hero-worshipping of McCandless who was, though intelligent and idealistic, a naive and unprepared idiot for going into the wild without so much as a map (which could have saved his life). Although I dislike how McCandless is almost glorified by Krakauer, this is no doubt an interesting story and it is told well.
Saturday, 2 April 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment