Title: Grace Williams Says it Loud
Author: Emma Henderson
Format: Paperback
Genre: Literary Fiction
Series: -
Date read: March 2011
Verdict: 4 out of 10
*Note - this book is nominated for the 2011 Orange Prize for Fiction*
Comments: The story is a first-person narrative told by Grace Williams, a mentally defective young girl in the 1960s who is sent to live at The Briar, a mental institution. Here she meets Daniel, an epileptic boy with no arms, and they embark on an unlikely romance. I only got about halfway through the book when I decided I wasn't invested enough in the characters to care about the outcome and gave up. The opening chapters about Grace's home life with her family before they sent her away were intriguing but then the book lost momentum and I lost interest. I feel this may have been longlisted for the Orange Prize based purely on its shocking subject matter (there are instances of abuse described) and not particularly on Emma Henderson's writing merit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment