Saturday, 26 March 2011

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Title: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Author:
Alan Bradley
Format: Paperback
Genre: Murder Mystery
Series: Flavia de Luce Series, #1
Date read: March 2011
Verdict: 7 out of 10

Comments:
It took me a while to get into the story, but by about Chapter 5 or so I'd got used to Flavia's voice. The book was a spin on the quaint ye olde English murder mystery: set in Buckshaw, a country pile in the village of Bishop's Lacey, replete with it's own laboratory. Eleven-year old Flavia doing most of the donkey work on her pushbike ('Gladys') put me in mind of the Famous Five, but chemistry expert Miss de Luce has a lot more gravitas and ingeniuity than the Kirrins. There are some fantastic names: Ophelia 'Feely', Daphne, Tilda, Grenville, Bonepenny, and of course, Flavia Sabina 'Dolores' de Luce. I felt that I wanted to know more about the sisters' late mother Harriet, and hope that she is given a more detailed backstory in the subsequent books.

No comments:

Post a Comment