"Give a man a few lines of verse and he thinks he's the Lord of all Creation."
Guy Montag is a fireman. Except in his world, firemen don't put out fires; they start them, in the homes of anyone caught owning illegal contraband - books. One day, after a chance encounter with a free-spirited girl, Montag starts to wonder what would happen if he read one...
After the recent passing of Ray Bradbury, the deluge of praise on Twitter made me wonder why I hadn't got around to reading anything of his. I already had Fahrenheit on my Kindle, so it got shunted to the top of my Summer Reads list and I'm very glad it did. A beautifully woven dystopian tale, up there with 1984 and Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451 is a book to savour and pass on to the next generation.
N.B. Clarisse McClellan is officially my new favourite character name of all time.
Format: Kindle
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
No comments:
Post a Comment